Window opens to file for Arizona property tax exemptions | News
A property tax exemption may be possible for residents of Pima County who qualify. Widows, widowers and individuals with disabilities who meet certain income thresholds are among those who might qualify for the exemption.
The application period for exemption is the first Monday in January to March 1.
“This exemption is really quite popular and provides some financial relief for folks out there who are dealing with challenges in their lives,” said Pima County Assessor Bill Staples, in a recent news release.
While a senior advocate with the non-profit Pima Council on Aging, Jennifer Walker stated a client recently told her the exemption allows the woman to stay in her home. Walker advertises this exemption program to over 16,000 newsletter subscribers.
In order to claim the exemption, the application must be filed in person the first time; and once qualified the applicant is not required to re-file an affidavit unless there is a change to the original qualification requirement.
To qualify for the exemptions, those who apply must have property with a full cash value not to exceed $244,690, or an assessed value of $24,469. To find out about other criteria visit http://www.asr.pima.gov/links/exemptions.aspx or call 724- 7500.
There will be additional informational sessions for those who have qualified and those who are applying for the first time, at local library branches. Their schedule, with locations, dates and times is as follows:
- Martha Cooper - 1377 N. Catalina Ave, (East of Alvernon-between Speedway & Pima); Monday, Jan. 14; Monday, Feb. 4 -10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Miller Golf-Links - 9640 E. Golf Links Rd, (East of Harrison) - Monday, Jan. 7 & 28; Monday, Feb. 11 & 25 -10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Mission - 3770 S. Mission Rd, (NW corner of Ajo/Mission) - Friday, Jan. 18 & 25; Friday, Feb. 1 -10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Nanini - 7300 N. Shannon Rd, (North of Ina) - Every Thursday in January & February -12 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Valencia - 202 W. Valencia Rd, (East of 12th Ave.) - Tuesday, Jan. 8, 15, 22; Tuesday, Feb. 5 & 19 -10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Murphy-Wilmot - 530 N. Wilmot Rd, (between Broadway & Speedway) - Friday, Jan. 4; Friday, Feb. 22 -10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wheeler Taft Abbett - 7800 N. Schisler Dr, (SE corner of Silverbell /Cortaro Rd) - Wednesday, Jan. 16; Wednesday, Feb. 13 -12 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Woods - 3455 N. First Ave, (South of Prince Rd.) - Tuesday, Jan. 29; Tuesday, Feb. 12 & 26-10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Joyner—Green Valley -601 N. La Canada Dr - Friday, Jan. 11; Friday. Feb. 8 -10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Salazar—Ajo, AZ - 33 Plaza - Wednesday, Jan. 23 -11 a.m. to 1 p.m.